VenuWorks of Cedar Rapids is seeking immediately a full time professional for the position of Director of Ice Arena Operations. This position will manage the daily operations and cleanliness, ice maintenance, and special events of a multi-purpose venue including a 4,000 seat standard hockey rink and an adjacent Olympic sized ice sheet.
This hands-on position will direct and lead part-time workers in offering the best possible ice conditions while meeting cleanliness goals and performing small repairs and routine maintenance in the rinks. The Director will also be the primary contact for regular user groups including a USHL hockey tenant, youth and adult hockey leagues, curling leagues, figure skaters and internal staff scheduling public skates and instructional programming. Candidate will be a self-starter, organized and detail oriented, able to use common hand tools to perform routine or preventative maintenance in the rink, able to drive and teach others to drive the Zamboni ice resurfacers, and most importantly be able to manage, teach and lead a large staff in the delivery of these services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ice Management: Build annually and manage the daily maintenance of two separate ice sheets that meet and exceed industry standards. Director will perform regular inspection of ice sheets including measuring quality and depth of ice conditions, temperature of ice, humidity and monitoring HVAC levels in all rink spaces. Director will be required to drive the ice resurfacer, run the edger, and utilize other equipment needed to perform ice maintenance and repairs when part-time staff are not available.
- Staff Management: VenuWorks has a large part-time employee team shared between the four entertainment venues. The Director shall train a core group of staff to perform specialized work at the rink including ice maintenance. Director shall work closely with the VenuWorks Operations and Custodial Manager to determine staffing levels appropriate for the level of activity in the rink and that meet budgetary guidelines. Director will additionally develop daily work plans for part time staff and supervise the completion of those tasks. The Ice Arena Director of Operations will seek to keep a positive and high morale amongst part-time staff while holding staff responsible for high standards of cleaning and ice maintenance duties.
- Event Manager and Tenant Liaison: The ImOn Ice Arena is home to primary tenant the USHL RoughRiders, as well as several regular licensees including high school user groups, CRHA and CHA adult and youth hockey groups, curling, figure skaters and other groups. The Ice Arena Events Director also programs regular public skating sessions and instructional programs. The Ice Arena Director of Operations shall establish and promote positive relationships for all licensees and tenants and seek to meet each groups’ needs for ice quality and event requirements. The Ice Arena Director of Operations shall act as the Event Manager for all RoughRider games, concerts, tradeshows, and other large events by meeting with the clients, planning out the staffing, furniture and equipment needs for each event, and managing the execution of these plans and staff performance during these events.
- Maintenance, Repairs and Cleaning: The City of Cedar Rapids facilities department as well as a HVAC contractor are regularly on-site to PM the ice plant and associated HVAC equipment. Director will manage the relationship with these entities and monitor compliance to maintenance contracts. Director will be on-call for emergency failures of plant. Director will regularly inspect the interior and exterior grounds of the Ice Arena and create plans for the regular cleaning, preventative maintenance and repairs of furniture and equipment on the property. Typical duties completed by Director and staff include detail cleaning, drywall repair, driving ice resurfacing machines, changing/sharpening blades on equipment, using edging equipment, outdoor snow removal in Winter, outdoor lawn maintenance, and periodic equipment maintenance. Staff will be required to provide skate sharpening for patrons on a daily basis.
- Financial Management: Run daily operations of rink in a manner that meets monthly and annual labor and supplies budgets. Create purchase orders and order supplies and equipment needed for the maintenance of the facility. Participate in the budgeting process with the Associate Executive Director.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan and execute all revenue and non-revenue generating events at ImOn Ice. Strategize ways to execute planning safely, financially effectively, as well as providing an exceptional experience for all user groups.
- Evaluate calendars and ice rentals to create staff schedules, and operate the POS register when working in the skate rental booth for cash sales of skate sharpening and retail goods. Develop proficiency in operating system.
- Organize and execute training and safety programs to ensure compliance with all OSHA mandated requirements.
- Sharpen skates on a daily basis, as well as train staff the proper techniques for sharpening different types of skates. Maintain the skate sharpener with the proper stones and ensure it is operated safely at all times.
- Perform light Mechanical Work including but not limited to painting, plumbing, carpentry, seat repairs, HVAC repairs, Zamboni maintenance, blade sharpening, and ice edger maintenance.
- Preventative Maintenance (PM) work on all non-contracted equipment including but not limited to pumps, filters, fire alarm systems, emergency and standard lighting, seats, and dasher systems.
- Maintain the condition and safety of the glass systems around rinks, and order attic stock as needed.
- Analyze operations data and recommend building modification, updated equipment, or changes on operating procedures to maximize energy efficiency.
- Maintain the condition of the exterior grounds. Perform or contract for landscaping services and grass mowing. Remove snow accumulation around doorways and walkways, perform plowing and salting during snow periods. Pick up trash from grounds, maintain flower beds, trim grass and maintain trees.
- Update and ensure compliance with life safety and emergency preparedness plans for Ice Arena.
- Maintain relationships with various agencies (contractors, fire inspection, elevator, sprinklers, etc.) to ensure compliance with codes and to resolve building maintenance needs and concerns
- Develop and maintain necessary records and reports including equipment and supply inventories, accident and damage reports, monthly expense and activity reports.
- Work cooperatively with other staff members in accomplishment of joint tasks and common objectives. Contribute to a positive work environment and foster collaboration.
- Provide support to other VenuWorks venues as needed. Work shifts as Manager on Duty at other venues as available and as requested by the Associate Executive Director.
- Perform other tasks as assigned
Directly supervise operations part-time staff including Zamboni drivers and custodial staff, and as needed skate guards, and other part-time staff assigned to shifts when acting as Manager on Duty. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems, this does not include scheduling of staff, but communicating scheduling needs to Operations Director.
Relevant mechanical trade certification or bachelor’s degree preferred. College course-work in business administration, marketing, communications, or related fields may substitute with adequate experience. Ability to be certified through NARCe, RINK, or other equivalent ice technician programs will be required.
Base work hours are Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., but this schedule will vary based on needs for staff coverage during events. This schedule will include working on holidays, evenings and weekends depending on when events occur.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Relevant mechanical trade certification or bachelor’s degree preferred. College course-work in business administration, marketing, communications, or related fields may substitute with adequate experience.
- NARCe, RINK, or other equivalent ice technician certification is required.
- A minimum of one (1) year of direct supervisory experience is required.
- Other combinations of experience and education that meet these requirements may be substituted.